Gary's Blogapolooza

Things that are going on in the lives of Emily and me. Some things that grab my attention. Family and friends, etc. That's what this, my very own blog (which was created by accident) is about - hopefully - maybe.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Sandi's Recipe Was A Big Hit Yesterday

Last night I made the recipe that Sandi sent and it was very good. I added mushrooms to the recipe and a little cayenne, salt and pepper. The liquid from the mushrooms might have made it a little runnier than it's supposed to be but it was still delicious - it was kind of like chilly and was great with slices of sourdough bread with butter. We thought adding kidney beans might be good too.
Here is a really good recipe from Carol Knowlson:

1 1/4 lb ground skinless turkey
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic (or 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic)
1 large eggplant or zucchini ( remove seeds and cube)
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp dried basil
1 can ( 28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Spray dutch oven with PAM. Cook turkey, onion, and garlic for 5-6 minutes. Add zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, bread crumbs, and basil and bring to a boil. Put into (9x13) baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45-50 min. Uncover and sprinkle on cheese and bake for 15 min. Makes 8 servings.
I'm all done with work at the US Open, it was a really great experience. On Wednesday night Emily and I went with a couple of our friends to see the matches between Elena Dementieva and Lindsay Davenport in the women's quarterfinals and Andre Agassi and James Blake in the mens quarterfinals. Dementieva won her match and Agassi ended up beating Blake in a very dramatic match that we ended up seeing the end of at home - it started so late that after watching the first set we decided to hit the road along with our friend Ed. Our friend Karen along with about 20,000 other people stayed until the end.

My final day there was very slow because so many players had been eliminated by that point. I did however work on Jarkko Nieminen who ended up losing his quarterfinal match to Lleyton Hewitt. The other person I worked on that day was (Sandi you might like this - since he's Australian) John Newcombe! That was kind of a big deal for me because I remember him playing back in the seventies he was an excellent player. He told me he was still playing but he was at the open to do television commentary for Australian TV - he was about to go up to his broadcast booth but wanted me to work on his tight lower back.

Wednesday also saw the addition of wheelchair tennis players. I didn't even know there was such a thing until I saw them all rolling around the grounds. It happened that a few of us were hanging out in the training room with one of the wheelchair players when he mentioned that he played in the olympics in Athens in '04. He then proceeded to pull out the gold medal that he'd won in his event! So, for the first and probably last time in my life I held an honest to god olympic gold medal in my very own hands! They're heavy. Somebody asked him what he thought the "street value" of the medal might be and he didn't know. I offered to take it out on the street and get an estimate but he politely declined my offer.

Right now Emily is at a Yoga class. When she gets back we're going to take a walk over to the greenmarket to pick up a few things for dinner later today, maybe watch a little bit of tennis on the TV and check out a dance performance that a friend of ours is involved in at a place called Here.

I also will probably get around to scanning a bunch of other pictures and posting them. I can't wait to hear how the kids are dealing with their brand new school experiences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home