Holy Freakin' Hell!
Stock up on Tamiflu everybody!
Good God Almighty! This is officially the scariest thing I've ever read!
It could kill a billion people worldwide, make ghost towns out of parts of major cities, and there is not enough medicine to fight it. It is called the avian flu.
...
Already, officials in London are quietly looking for extra morgue space to house the victims of the H5N1 virus, a never-before-seen strain of flu. Scientists say this virus could pose a far greater threat than smallpox, AIDS or anthrax.
...
Redlener, who is stationed at Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, has been working with New York City officials to get ready for the deadly epidemic.
"The city would look like a science fiction movie," according to him. "It's extremely possible we'd have to quarantine hospitals. We'd have to quarantine sections of the city."
"I could imagine that you could look at Grand Central Station and not see much of anybody wandering around at all," Garrett agrees. "People would be afraid to take the subways, because who wants to be in an enclosed air space with a whole lot of strangers, never knowing which ones are carrying the flu?"
...
"If you look at the expected number of deaths that could occur in cities across the United States, we are wholly unprepared to process those bodies in a dignified and respectful way," asserts Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. "We will run out of caskets literally within days."
...
However, in the end, even the country's top health officials concede that a killer flu epidemic this winter would make the scenes of Katrina pale in comparison.
"You know, I was down in New Orleans in that crowded airport now a couple weeks ago," Frist says. "And this could be not just equal to that, but many multiple times that. Hundreds of people laid out, all dying, because there was no therapy. And a lot of people don't realize for this avian flu virus, there will be very little effective therapy available early on."


5 Comments:
Gosh I hope that doesn't happen.
I just told Paul this morning that I'm stocking up on some essentials and putting them in the basement. I've been reading about the bird flu thing and I don't want to be a big panic button pusher but I don't want to be the dumb ass who wasn't ready either. With everything going on in the world I've decided it's time to at least be ready for a week or two in my home without having to leave. You never know anymore. If nothing ever happens I'll just have extra stuff.
Can any of you nurses get ahold of a load of that Tamiflu?
I'll take care of you sick-o's
Can you get the Tamiflu? We need lot's of Tamiflu - start hording it now!
Post a Comment
<< Home