Hey Suzette - Remember that shit-storm I mentioned yesterday? This is part of it.
Holy Shit Batman! First Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is under investigation for insider trading and now House Majority Leader Tom DeLay is indicted for criminal conspiracy! when was the last time that the leaders of both the Senate and the House were up to their armpits in this much shit? Probably never. Expect more shit in the near future.
House Majority Leader Tom DeLay Charged With Criminal Conspiracy
A Travis County grand jury today indicted U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay on one count of criminal conspiracy, jeopardizing the Sugar Land Republican's leadership role as the second most powerful Texan in Washington, D.C.
The charge, a state jail felony punishable by up to two years incarceration, stems from his role with his political committee, Texans for a Republican Majority, a now-defunct organization that already had been indicted on charges of illegally using corporate money during the 2002 legislative elections.


5 Comments:
Yeah, I saw where he was charged and denies any wrongdoing. He is so obviously (ahem) an upstanding citizen (laughing out loud) that I can see why there would be questions. And I noticed that the White House didn't actually say they think he is innocent of the charges without saying he isn't either.
"Congressman Delay is a good ally, a leader who we have worked closely with to get things done for the American people. I think the president's view is that we need to let the legal process work." — White House press secretary Scott McClellan
I'm amazed that they are trying to make this a partisan beef when this isn't the first time he's been called on breaking the rules. You'd think at this point even the Republicans would be distancing themselves and trying to avoid the clinging stink of corruption. He doesn't sound like someone you'd want your name associated with no matter what your politics.
Oh, and the other guy, Jack Abramoff, should do time just for using the word troglodyte to describe anyone except Tom Delay.
12 of the 15 politicians that Ronnie Earl has indicted have been Democrats.
How many Republicans had Ken Starr gone after prior to spending 60 million dollars to find Bill Clinton guilty of receiving a blowjob?
The Clinton thing was the first ever attempted coup in our history and it was the mother of all witch hunts.
I agree that DeLay should be prosecuted if found guilty but I don't belive it's a witch hunt. We definitely need more government oversight and it needs to be bi-partisan or better yet independant.
Our system is totally corrupt. I have some ideas on how to fix it. It starts with real serious campaign finance reform, serious lobbying reform, and serious election reform. Not just fixing things around the edges. A total rehaul is called for. I could go into a lot more detail if you want another time but it would take up too much time and space right now. The long and short of the situation is that we aren't a democracy anymore. Because of the way that the system is set up most of the politicians are totally controlled by the money of large multinational corporations and work for their interests rather than ours. And sadly, the Republican Party is almost 100% under their influence. It's a long time since the days of real reformers like Teddy Roosevelt. There are many politicians in the Democratic party that have succumbed to the same thing but it hasn't been completely corrupted yet. There's still some hope there.
Post a Comment
<< Home